Construction of Stage 1 of the 1,300 km of stock and domestic pipeline in the south west of the Loddon Shire started on 5 July 2016.
The pipeline will provide a secure water supply to:
- approximately 260 rural farming enterprises
- approximately 370 lifestyle properties
- over an area of 1,670 km2
These properties currently rely on local rainfall and catchment dams for their homes and farms.
Rural landholders within the project boundary shown on the map below maybe eligible to connect to the pipeline.
Landholders outside of the area are still encouraged to submit an Expression of Interest form (1.12MB) to assist with future planning.
Planning of the project has progressed to a point where we are close to appointing a contractor to undertake detailed design and construction. It's anticiplated that pipeline construction activities will commence early in 2018.
Read more about the status of the project in our July 2017 Project Newsletter (1.3MB, 3 pages).
Benefits to the community
A secure water supply to the south west Loddon area will deliver many benefits to the community. It will:
- support activity and employment in the farming and intensive livestock sectors of this region
- reduce the current reliance on water carting
- sustain the agricultural sector that underpins the viability of this region
- provide social benefits for recreational purposes at Skinners Flat Reservoir
- enhance fire-fighting capacity in the region, and
- result in less dependence on farm storages that currently intercept water that could otherwise provide an environmental benefit to regional rivers and wetlands.
The scheme will also improve overall management of water resources by interconnecting the Wimmera-Glenelg system in the West with the larger Goulburn system in north central Victoria.
Read some case studies about how connecting to rural piped water has benefited landholders in our community.
Connect to the pipeline
Landholders within the project boundary are encouraged to lodge an Expression of Interest to connect to the pipeline.
Download the Expression of Interest form (1.12MB).
Pipeline in the news...
16 August 2016, Pipeline works (135kB)
Wimmera Mail Times
North Central News
2 September 2016, Pipes go in as Loddon Shire dreams of drought-proof era (external website)
Premier of Victoria
2 September 2016, Loddon Shire a step closer to getting on the grid (external website)
Northern Grampians Shire Council
1 September 2016, Opportunity to tap into South West Loddon Pipeline (external website)