Green Lake - Blue-green algae warning
Regular testing has detected levels of blue-green algae above levels considered safe for recreation use at Green Lake.
We warn the public to avoid direct contact with the water. People may still boat, sightsee and enjoy other activities at the lake that do not involve direct water contact.
Warning signs have been positioned at major recreational areas around the lake and will remain in place while the warning is current.
Anglers wanting more information please visit - https://vfa.vic.gov.au/recreational-fishing/fishing-locations/inland-angling-guide/special-articles/blue-green-algae
- Avoid all contact with affected water.
- People who come into contact with the affected water should wash affected skin immediately in clean water.
- Do not use affected water for cooking, drinking, washing or showering. Boiling the affected water will not make it safe to use.
Blue-green algae facts:
- Blue-green algae occurs naturally and can be dangerous to humans and animals.
- Characteristic signs of algae contact are skin rashes or itchiness, sore eyes, ears and nose; or if swallowed, nausea or vomiting.
- It is not possible to predict how long the algae will remain at high levels within the lake.
We will continue to regularly monitor the lake and keep you informed of the situation through the media, Facebook and Twitter.