Blue-green algae detected at Lake Lonsdale is above levels considered safe for recreational use.
On Monday 11 May, the Victorian Government extended the State of Emergency until 31 May 2020.
Please note that while some recreational activities are now permitted, all campgrounds at this reservoir remain closed until further notice.
For more information, visit: gwmwater.org.au/coronavirus
Please note that duck hunting has been closed on Lake Lonsdale for the 2020 duck season due to the presence of a large number of threatened Blue-billed Duck.
For further information, go to the Game Management Authority website gma.vic.gov.au
Lake Lonsdale is a large, shallow reservoir on the Mt William Creek. It fills from its own catchment and is reliant on natural inflows. Although the catchment can be a substantial producer of water during wet years because of its very large area, it isn't reliable during times of drought. Given its relatively shallow depth, the lake also has high evaporation losses over summer months.
Since the introduction of the Wimmera Mallee Pipeline, the lake is no longer used by GWMWater for domestic or stock water supply, however it's still a key source of water for the environment. Lake Lonsdale also has an important role in the community as a recreational lake in the Stawell area, hosting a number of activities on its northern side, such as boating, fishing, swimming, camping and water skiing.
- Camping at this lake is not permitted until further notice
- designated boat ramps must be used
- Duck shooting
- Duck hunting has been closed on Lake Lonsdale for the 2020 duck season due to the presence of a large number of threatened Blue-billed Duck.
- must be under control at all times
- must keep to the obvious tracks
- not permitted on the beach or sand dunes
- speed limit 10 km/h within Lake Lonsdale reserve area
- no unregistered motor vehicles including trail bikes
We've developed a plan to improve the reacreational use of Lake Lonsdale.
See what's planned. Lake Lonsdale Management Plan (621kB, 34 pages)
- Feels like 4.9°C
- Relative Humidity 73 %
- Rainfall 0.0mm
- Wind S at 17 km/h