Lake Lonsdale is a large, shallow reservoir on the Mt William Creek. It fills from its own catchment and is reliant on natural inflows. Although the catchment can be a substantial producer of water during wet years because of its very large area, it isn't reliable during times of drought. Given its relatively shallow depth, the lake also has high evaporation losses over summer months.
Since the introduction of the Wimmera Mallee Pipeline, the lake is no longer used by GWMWater for domestic or stock water supply, however it's still a key source of water for the environment. Lake Lonsdale also has an important role in the community as a recreational lake in the Stawell area, hosting a number of activities on its northern side, such as boating, fishing, swimming, camping and water skiing.
Under the Stage 3 Stay at Home restrictions apply across regional Victoria, all GWMWater campgrounds will be closed from 11.59pm, Wednesday 5 August 2020.
Boat ramps remain open and day visitors from regional Victoria are still permitted. Please ensure your use of these areas complies with the latest State Government coronavirus (COVID-19) public health measures. Physical distancing and outdoor gathering requirements apply at all times – including at the boat ramp and on your boat.
Stage 4 restrictions apply to residents of metropolitan Melbourne. Under Stage 4 restrictions, You must not travel more than five kilometres from where you live.
The campsite closures include:
- Lake Lonsdale
- Moora Moora Reservoir
- Taylors Lake
Please note that all camp grounds at or adjacent to GWMWater Reservoirs are also closed.
For more information about coronavirus and social distancing, visit: dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
- In designated areas only (not in sandbar area)
- Long-term camping (8+ weeks) needs to be approved by the Patrol Officer
- Camp fires
- allowed in properly constructed fireplace. Fire pits are available
permitted in line with Country Fire Authority https://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/warnings-restrictions/can
fire must be completely extinguished with water, not soil, before the last person leaves
- Portable generators
- must be within 10 metres of your own tent and closer to your tent than anyone else’s
- don't put them in long grass as they can start fires!
- designated boat ramps must be used
- Duck shooting
- Duck hunting has been closed on Lake Lonsdale for the 2020 duck season due to the presence of a large number of threatened Blue-billed Duck
- must be under control at all times and tethered at night
- must keep to the obvious tracks
- not permitted on the beach or sand dunes
- speed limit 10 km/h within Lake Lonsdale reserve area
- no unregistered motor vehicles including trail bikes
We've developed a plan to improve the recreational use of Lake Lonsdale.
See what's planned. Lake Lonsdale Management Plan (621kB, 34 pages)
- Feels like 7.7°C
- Relative Humidity 100 %
- Rainfall 1.0mm
- Wind N at 11 km/h
15° Possible thunderstormMIN 7°